Monday, July 25, 2011

First Weekend in Iquique....SUCCESS!


This past week has been an absolute whirlwind.  It is great to know that I will not have to work in the camps anymore.  They were extremely fun and rewarding but they were also very long days and a lot of stress.  I also survived my first weekend in Iquique AND my first earthquake! Yes, as I was lying in my bed on Friday I started to notice that things on my side table began to slightly move.  It lasted only about 10 seconds but it was pretty awesome and it was definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be. 

I had a really wonderful weekend.  After work on Friday I went out with some friends and we grabbed some beers at Papa Gallo (Daddy Rooster?).  Saturday was the last day of camp where the kids performed in a talent show for their parents that they had been preparing throughout the week.  My favorite act was done by a girl named “Bessie” who could swallow water and then regurgitate it through her nostrils.  It was a definite crowd pleaser. 

Saturday night was filled with loud music, free drinks, and a lot of laughing. I went out with my co-workers from the camp to a bar called Democratica.  If you could imagine the most crowded, sweaty, and disgusting bar in the world- you can visualize my Saturday night.  We were introduced to a Chilean drink called “Terremoto” which literally translates to “earthquake” since it is said that you are left with the ground & legs feeling very shaky.  Let me tell you, it is TRUE.  One of these suckers and you’re toasted for the night.

The next morning I woke up “con cana” which essentially means “hung-over as shit.” No need for words,“con cana” can also be communicated by straightening out your hand vertically, and placing it on the front of your nose.  However, my hangover was overcome by a pleasant surprise of a large welcome asado (bbq), which all of my extended Chilean family came over and we spent the afternoon eating and getting to know each other. We ate HUGE portions of steak, salad, a potato dish (I forget the name of it), rice, and lots of desert. It was by far the best meal that I have had thus far in Chile.  The night was spent shopping at Zofri, which is also known as Zona Franco.  This is a large mall in the northern part of Iquique that sells everything from electronics to beauty products and is all tax-free.  Tourists come from all over Latin America to buy their Christmas presents and essentially anything they could need/want at a cheaper price. In my opinion, I would never go back again.  It was the most chaotic, stressful place I have ever been in my life, and if one more person had bumped into me I probably would have gone ape shit crazy.

Today I had my regional orientation with all the most prestigious governmental officials in Iquique. After a great start to the day by getting kicked out my collectivo (story for another day) we got there at 9:30 and of course started at 10:15 (Chilean time). I met the teacher that I will be working with for the next few months and I am not the slightest bit disappointed.  She is absolutely hysterical and I think that we are going to work really well together.  I learned that I will be teaching juniors and seniors in high school and will be tailoring my lessons so that they will be business and technology related.  The only concern that I have is that I will have my first class Monday-Thursday is at 7:45AM (no class Friday wooo).  Meaning, in order for me to get there on time I will need to leave my house at 7:00AM (public transportation is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww).

Everything here is going super well!  I am finally getting accustomed to the city and my Spanish is improving!  The rest of the week I will be observing the classes that I will be teaching.  Wish me luck!

PS. I made it on CNN Chile news. Search for me in the group picture, I am wearing the green scarf.  These are the students that I have been working with over the past week!

No comments:

Post a Comment