Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Working Life


There was no way that I could have made a blog post after last week.  I had my first week of observing in a classroom and let me tell you-it was exhausting.  By the time I got home after class and the debate team I was falling asleep around 9pm every night! 

I will start by describing everything there is to know about the school that I am working at.  First off, the name of the school is Colegio Ingles and I learned that in the past it was exclusively for bilingual individuals. Being semi-private and owned by the Methodist Church the school is one of the best in Iquique.  This is extremely beneficial for me because they are helping pay for my transportation to and from school everyday and I am given breakfast and lunch.  I have my own classroom, room 314, and it overlooks the beach and city (photos will come shortly!).  Like I mentioned in my previous post I am teaching juniors and seniors in high school. Although at times very frustrating, I think that it is best that I am working with the older students.  I have already had some really funny moments and I think that they kids are going to learn a lot from having a gringa teach their classes.

As far as my schedule goes, I teach six, forty-five minute classes Monday through Thursday.  With breaks throughout the day, my earliest class is at 7:45AM and my last is finished at 3:45PM.  Directly after my last class I have to head to another classroom to help with the debate team.  Each year, the Chilean Ministry of Education holds debate competitions in all of the regions of Chile so that the students can work on their English and learn how to speak in a professional way.  Students have to apply and interview to be on the team and only the best are asked to represent their schools.  I am currently working with six students and we have to find information on whether or not the Internet is the opium of the masses.  Being an extremely competitive and confrontational person I thoroughly enjoy being their coach and look forward to the competition at the end of August.

I have to say that I have a new respect for anyone that has taught before.  Teaching is an extremely difficult job and it takes a lot of hard work and patience.  My students thus far have proved to be very intelligent and they hold a decent level of English.  I have to say the most challenging thing about my position as a teacher is the fact that I am teaching classes related to business, electronics, and mining: Three topics that I know absolutely nothing about! AND I FORGOT TO MENTION, the best part about this whole situation is that THE KIDS HAVE NO IDEA THAT I CAN SPEAK/UNDERSTAND SPANISH!!!!!  So the first few days were hysterical hearing what the horny little 17 and 18 year olds had to say about my “exotic” self.  Not to toot my own horn…but the classes also received a lecture because the other teachers found multiple desks that had carvings that read, “I love miss Sarah” on them.  Oh the sweet angels.

This past weekend was just okay.  Friday night, after a long week of observing all I needed was a stiff drink.  I went out with another American, Cat, from New Hampshire and we shared a few beers in the center of the city.  Saturday morning I slept late and then was paraded around by one of my host brothers to 2 different friend’s houses.  I also found out that he was using me to get out of work telling his boss that he had an American staying with him that “doesn’t speak Spanish” and informed her that he needed to accompany me at all points during the day.  What a little shit! Saturday night was spent at my co-teachers house celebrating her eleven-year-old son’s birthday.  It was the most impressive birthday party I have ever been to.  There was a rented trampoline, tons of food, and music videos were being projected onto different walls throughout the house.  I stayed until almost one in the morning celebrating, drinking tea and eating LOTS of cake! Sunday is family day.  I woke up early and took a long walk on the beach.  Following this, I spent the day with my host brothers and their friends just hanging out at a local beach.  It was fun to spend time with them since I don’t have lots of time during the week.  That night my entire Chilean family went to the mall to eat a family dinner- 5 star dining.

My host family is wonderful.  I really have nothing negative to say about my experience with them so far.  Sonia, my host mother works in a bakery and I rarely get to see her.  She typically works in the evenings not coming home until one or two in the morning and I am already sleeping by this point since I have to wake up so early in the morning.  When I do spend time with her, it is really great.  I can tell she really enjoys having me around because there are no other girls in the house.  My host father is the cutest little old man I have ever seen.  He takes the role of the “stay at home mom” doing the laundry and cooking all of the meals.  My host father is one of the most simple and patient men I have ever met. Then we have Marcelo, my oldest brother of 30 years who is currently going through a divorce and has decided to live with us along with his two sons Rodgrigo and Sebastian.  They are here about 4 days out of the week. Next we have Santiago.  My dearest Santiago.  I have gotten along best with him so far since he is closest to me in age and maturity.  I also enjoy spending time with him because, unlike my other brother (I will explain in a second), he likes to speak with me in Spanish.  Artemio, my 20-year-old brother has given me the most difficult time so far. He is probably one of the nicest people that I have ever met but he is also the most jealous/protective.  He has serious issues with me hanging out with Santiago and is often times trying to figure out my business.  In addition to this, he is constantly speaking English.  His English is fantastic and when I get home after teaching all day I would really like to practice my Spanish.  He just doesn’t get it.  THEN, I have my precious Javier (my cousin) who spends a large amount of his time at my house.  He is four and I am in absolute love with him.  I am teaching him English and in return he makes me laugh hysterically.

Overall, like I said before I am adjusting well.  This weekend I am planning to go out with Santiago and his friends so I can start working on my social life here! Maybe find a pololo (boyfriend) so I can practice my Spanish? WHO KNOWS?

Missing everyone tons!  Please feel free to email me at any point to update me on your lives-I would really like that =)

Love,

Sarita 

No comments:

Post a Comment