Saturday, July 9, 2011

First Week

So as the first week comes to an end all I can say is that I have made the right choice by coming to Chile through the Ministry of Education.  The program has exceeded my expectations and I am really enjoying myself.  The new experiences, friends, and responsibility are all playing a large role as to why I am the happiest I have been in months!  This week has been extremely long with orientations lasting from 9 to 5 everyday but they have all been very beneficial to our success in the classrooms.  I just learned that I will be taking a 14hr bus ride and spending next week in Copiapo, Chile at my first winter camp.  This is very close to where the miners were trapped just a few months ago.  The following week I will be headed to Iquique, where I will finally be able to move into my host family and stop living out of my suitcase!

This following week can be described through laughing, laughing, and even more laughing.  I have had some of the greatest conversations with all of the other volunteers and it seems as if we are all on the same page as far as why we are here and what our intentions are.  Santiago is beautiful as well.  I went on a run yesterday and seeing the Andes in the distance made this feel so real.  The run felt awesome but my lungs did not take it as well.  Apparently, just by being in Santiago the pollution in the air is equivalent to five cigarettes in one day!  So yes, I have had my fair share of black snot…pretty gross right? 


My Spanish is right back on track as well.  I have been trying very hard to practice speaking with whomever, wherever and whenever.  I have also done a lot of roaming by myself throughout the city.  Which means asking others for directions or where there is a good place to eat an empanada. Since I have been here before I do not need to go to all of the “touristy” spots that the other volunteers were going to.  This has been really nice and has given me the opportunity to get some alone time and discover Santiago by myself.   My favorite part is a small neighborhood about forty minutes walking from our hostel called “Bellevista.”  It is filled with packed bars and hip clothing boutiques. 

Tonight there is a soccer game so I plan on going out to drink some beers with a few of the other volunteers.  I want to wear my jersey but apparently it is thought to be extremely weird for a girl to be a huge sports fan so I am not sure if I am in the mood to draw more attention to myself.  The catcalls have not stopped since I have been here- not sure if it is a confidence booster or flat out annoying. 

So I guess that these are just some basic updates on my life here in Chile.  I should have more time to reflect upon my time in the upcoming weeks and probably a lot more stories coming from winter camps!  I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the summer sun…IT’S FREEZING HERE! (Literally wearing 2 pairs of pants, 4 layers of shirts every time I go to bed)!

Hope everyone is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment