Monday, March 26, 2012

resfriada & temblores



So this past week has been quite a whirlwind.  I must have gone through about 5 rolls of toilet paper.  And no, not because of backside, silly hiney issues but because I was slapped across the face with a major cold, which left me miserable and cranky.  It is Monday and I am still not feeling at all 100%.  Working with my little nuggets is a glorifying experience…but there are some downfalls…one of them being GERMS!....and the occasional desire to punch a concrete wall.

I think I’m doing ok as a professor.  I’ve only made two kids cry so far.  The first was because I wrote a note home to a student’s parents about his behavior and the second because I got too aggressive during recess and I kicked a soccer ball at a kid’s face. 

In addition, I have started to feel a little uncomfortable with a few of my students in one of my first grade classes.  They refer to me as “mama,” and like to give me lots of hugs and kisses.  I always need to reinforce that I am NOT their “mama,” and that I do not have/nor want children.  Today, they took it too a new level.

Matias (the leader of this group) was giving me my normal “child/mother love.”  It was sweet and innocent until he reached up, grabbed my left breast, and said “leche, leche…yo quiero leche.” (Milk, Milk, I want milk).  This is when I had another professor take control of the situation, informing him that Miss Sarah did not have “leche” in her breats.

My bike is the best investment that I have made in Chile.  I now can leave 25 minutes before work and arrive without any problems.  I’ve only hit two pedestrians and one other bike.  The bike crash was not my fault.

Friday night I celebrated my roommate’s birthday with red wine and lasagna.

I spent all day Saturday at a religious retreat that was made mandatory for all new employees at San Ignacio.  I had to be at the school at 7:30AM and I didn’t arrive home until 7:30 at night.  Considering the fact that I am currently in a phase of “religious exploration” and have a low-tolerance for Chilean formalities…it was horrific.   And by horrific…I fell asleep while the priest was talking. Torture.

Fortunately, later that night there was a festival in my neighborhood “Barrio Italia” where all of the art galleries moved their work out into the streets, and there were live bands and free drinks.  Afterwards I went to a friend’s apartment for an asado.

Today was a great day.  I had two of my girlfriends here in Santiago come over and help me make a brunch for a few friends.  I went to the supermarket and bought a bunch of food to cook with.  I wanted to make it a “thank you” meal to all of the people that had taken care of me during my time of financial difficulties.  We made pancakes, French toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, strudel, fruit salad…and even mimosas! It was a great afternoon with a ton of laughs…(I shared stories about my obese childhood)…and everyone left with full bellies and big smiles. Success.

Other than this…everything has been pretty laid back.  I thoroughly enjoy having a routine, waking up in the morning…going to school etc.  I forgot to mention that I got asked to start an English club.  I’ll be getting paid about 200USD extra a month for about 6 hours of work…I’ll take it!

I almost killed my plant Neil.  I knew that I couldn’t handle the pressure of being responsible for another living being.  However, after some critical care, he is starting to turn green and firm again.  I promised myself that I would do better with his feeding schedule this week.

This week is also very exciting because I will have my first visitor.  Carlie, one of my closest friends from Virginia Tech will be coming and staying with me for a few nights.  I hope she is prepared for all of my plans!  I can’t wait to show her my city and introduce her to my Chilean life J

Also, I guess I should mention that I am okay in despite of the news regarding the earthquakes here in Chile.  I am very accustomed to tremors after being in Iquique.  However, this weekend I was a little uncomfortable after the two tremors we experienced here in Santiago.  Saturday morning at around 4:30AM I woke up to my bed slamming the wall.  This one lasted about 20 seconds and was really loud.  Then, last night (Sunday) we had another one that lasted about 40 seconds and was a result of the 7.2 earthquake that hit the southern region of Maule.  For the first time, I could literally feel the ground moving below me…and not in a back and fourth motion but more of a circular motion, jolting everything around.  Although it was a little scary…it was also kind of entertaining.


I finally have my iPod back.  My friend Sebastian took me to the store to get it fixed...I walked out with a new one! Exceeeeeeellent. 

Two things I have been pondering over the past week:

1) Friends of mine told me that in Germany boys sit down to pee….I can’t stop thinking if it’s true or not.….does anyone know/been to Germany?

2) I also saw a midget…using a midget bike.  I am debating on whether the bike was especially made for the midget…or if it was just made for kids.


Congratulations to my brother, James, for getting a new job... :)
Life is going amazing.  I am so content, with everything.


Over and out.


English Department: San Ignacio

                                 Some English Professors at Breakfast: Danitza, Me, Claudia, Tamara
                                 Leo's Birthday (Last Friday): Sebastian, Caroline, Me & Pame
                                                                         Again....

                                                               Caroline & Me :)

2 comments:

  1. i loved your post!! hope everything is well, and i am very excited that you didn't use all those rolls on a silly hiney..how horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just need to say that i laughed hysterically throughout this post.. i was dying. just a quick note, apparently 1) is true, not that i know from personal experiences of anything..but german mothers strict as they are will enforce them to pee sitting down. (prevent piss all over their clean bathrooms)..as far as 2 goes, that is a great question.. im thinking it must be a kids bike. but that beckons the question, where did his clothes come from?? did he shop at a kids store??

    ReplyDelete