Thursday, March 8, 2012

all over the place


I started work last week.  I absolutely love it.  Working with first and second graders is so much fun.  I sing songs, act really dumb and get to wear a smock or “apron.” (less pressure to get dressed in the AM) The little boys (remember all boys school) like to touch my hair, my earrings, give me kisses and tons of hugs. Mmmmmmm my heart melts everytime I walk down the hall or into a classroom.

My favorite story is when I met one of my 1st grade classes.  The other English professor introduced me to the kids by having an “interview with miss Sarah.”  She asked me basic questions in English like “what is your favorite color, etc.” At the end of it she asked if the boys had any questions for “miss sarah.” One little boy raised his hand and said:

“puedes preguntar la miss si ella tiene un pololo?”
(can you ask if the miss has a boyfriend?)

the other professor translated into English “miss sarah…do you have a boyfriend?”

obvious answer, I responded
“no, I do not have a boyfriend.”

the boy looks at me, WINKS and repsonds:

                        “quieres uno?”
                        (do you want one)


6 years old and this kid has more game then 3 quarters of the men I have encountered in my 22 years of life….a mini I don’t even know b ut, needless to say…day 1 and he was awarded favorite/coolest student award…probably should’nt be admitting that.

Today is the international day of women.  I came into school this morning and had rosses on my desk…my boss, a Cuban man…bought all of the women in the office rosses! How sweet.  We were also given cake for breakfast in the teachers lounge....the day is looking GOOD

I also started my other job this week….working at an e-learning company…I’ll be conducting skype telephone calls with business executives who do not have time to take traditional English classes…I’m pretty excited to get the ball rolling with this project … it’s going to be easy labor, working at home and making some $.

I’m buying a bike. I hate the metro and micro in the mornings. Too crowded and too sweaty.  It was so full the other day I saw some fat guy get his stomach get stuck inbetween the metro doors…come on…wait 2 minutes to get on the next one.  Save the rest of us from dry heaving, thanks. There is a bike path from my house to the center…plus when the protests start back up there will sometimes be no public transportation.  It’s the only way. The onlyyyyyyy way

My ipod’s broken. I just bought it 8 months ago. I normally fly through this city jamming and without it I feel lost. I hate hearing everything.  Hopefully my friend can drive me to get it fixed (the apple store is unreachable by metro and id have to switch to go on like 3 dif micros)

Ive been lazy with the guitar. Now that im working from 8 to 7 or 8 at night I’m too tired to practice. Wah … hopefully when I get some money I can pay for lessons or something to keep me motivated. Looks like my tour dates are going to be pushed back to september, i know, i know, i feel your disappointment.

So I know that I have mentioned to some friends how I have had some funny experiences in the dating scene here.  There have been some that have gone really well…and others…terribly bad.  i havea  few rules about dating Chileans…first thing is first….latino men like to be, well, complimentary, and often…they like to use “pet names.”  Now, there is something really cute about being called a “peluchito” (little teddy bear) in Spanish.  However…when a boy, I do not care if you are George Clooney…calls me a “chanchito” (little piggy) or “gordita” (little fatty)…it’s time to CUT. THINGS. OFF.  They are considered terms of “endearment” here…but I’m sorry…being called a “little piggy” is just not flattering, nor acceptable.

 However, the best is yet to come.  After work on the other day i went to get food and a drink with a Chilean guy that I have been crushing on.  After an amazing afternoon and evening I was feeling really good about the situation…and I even considered a goodnight kiss AHH! Towards the end of the date we were sitting on a bench when “he” grabbed my cheek and said “awwwwwwwww que guapa mi jamoncita!!!!!!”

…JAMONCITA!

………….JAMONCITA!

……………………..JAMONCITA?

Well, that was the first time I’ve ever been referred to as a “little tiny ham.” And I sure hope it’s the last.   the date ended, with a hug. Ouch.

Hmmm what else is new?

OH, how could I forget. The story about how karma almost killed me. Literally.

In my last blog post I mentioned how I didn’t receive any valentine’s day gifts from anyone, not even my own mother.  Well, my apologies, mom. Last week i  received a huge box from my 2205 FL address.   Inside, I got photographs to hang in my room, vitamins, some beef jerky and a beautiful red box of valentines day chocolates.  Now, my mom and anyone else who knows me really well knows that I am not a big chocolate fan.  But, on Sunday I had a craving for something sweet and carmely. So, I decided to crack open the box of chocolates and treat myself  to a little carmel surprise.

I bit into the chocolate and to my delight it was filled with coconut, the only thing in this world I am allergic to.  Sitting alone in my Santiago apartment my throat starts to itch…thennnnnnn it starts to close.  I panic and decide to walk myself to the drug store about 4 blocks away. Now, don’t forget, it’s still summer here in Chile.  So as I feel like I’m breathing out of a straw I’m also struggling to breathe due to the intense heat and smog. Well, I reached the drug store, my legs gave out and i passed out in the doors…and caused a huge scene. GRINGA DOWN.

I was given some pills to open my throat…and afterwards, a pill to relax. Now I have no idea what this “relaxing” pill was but I was out. of. IT. I felt like w0o0ooooo0o0oooo0oooooooooooo for the rest of the night. But I survived, with only a little bit of embarrassment of passing out in a drug store, meh no big deal.

Anyway, thanks mom, for the chocolates…and for your attempt at murder…I thought I was far enough away that you would stop plotting ways to get rid of me hhahahaha

My feet smell really bad here. I’m not sure how to handle it.  I have to wash my feet whenever I come home…not normal, I know.  Does anyone have any smelly feet remedies?

I also saw the stars the other night.  I haven’t looked at them in so long. They are a little backwards here.

I have to go teach a class. Second grade B. we will be reviewing school materials and games. Hello, hello, hello…hello how are you?  Hello, hello, hello, I’m fine thanks and you? Da dum da dum da dum





Updates por favor! 

1 comment:

  1. Schneidz, keep it coming, your stories are hilarious and u do a hell of a job writing them...mi chanchita jamoncitaaaaa

    ReplyDelete