Saturday, July 20, 2013

goals


It’s halfway through the school year here in Chile and my 2-week winter vacation is coming to an end. (Sniff, Sniff).  Vacations have definitely exceeded my expectations this year.  I was originally bummed because I was supposed to have visitors from the United States-but those plans fell through and I was left with a wide variety of options.  In the end, I travelled to Concepcion to visit my friend, Julia, who I met while hiking in Patagonia. 

The most beautiful part of my time in Concepcion was when a group of us went to a nearby beach town, Coliumo, to go rock climbing.  The sensation of climbing while breathing in the fresh ocean air was unforgettable. Each breath was so positive and refreshing. It was a blessing to have the opportunity to go to such an incredible place.
With Julia 

Starting off...


After spending a week in the city, we decided to spend a few days in the snow.  Our friend, Felipe, (who we also met in Patagonia) is a mountain guide, and had the idea to climb a volcano about two hours south of Concepcion in a smalllll town called Chillán.  We were never able to reach the summit of the volcano due to extreme winds, but I learned SOOOOO much from Felipe and the few days disconnected from the world helped me see clearly what I want for myself in the next few months.

Felipe and I being crazy 2,800 mts in the air!


The reason why I am writing this post is because I have created a few goals for myself for the upcoming months.  I think it’s important to critically look at your life and see what you are doing well and what you can improve.  Here are 5 simple goals that I hope to achieve:

Goal #1:
READ MORE
It’s important… and I’m not doing it.

Goal #2:
ABS
I’m roll-less… but I want it flatter… and with abs. 

Goal #3:
EAT HEALTHY (on the weekends)
I eat extremely healthy during the week-but for some reason I find myself eating pizza, hot dogs, and French fries on the weekends. I need to become more creative with my cooking.

Goal #4:
STAY SINGLE
No comment.

Goal #5
ONLY WINE AND BEER
My alcohol tolerance is SO SO SO SO low at this point that if I drink one strong drink I’m already buzzed.  I feel like it’s a positive change.


I continue feeling grateful for my independence and my simple lifestyle here in Santiago.  For me, there is no future nor is there a past.  I live, think and breathe in the present.   I still play soccer 3X a week and rock climbing/mountaineering on the weekends.  Chile offers such a beautiful life—this country has everything to share and everyday I fall more in love with its people, landscape and opportunities.


I suppose that I am in a moment of personal growth and find myself in good balance. 
I am living MY dream.


I’ll finish this post with a poem written by my favorite poet, Pablo Neruda.  I remember reading this 5 years ago in my Spanish literature class here in Chile.  It didn’t have the same affect as it does on me today.

His words speak the truth... and I, forever, will live by his wisdom.


You start dying slowly-Pablo Neruda 

You start dying slowly
if you do not travel,
if you do not read,
If you do not listen to the sounds of life,
If you do not appreciate yourself.
You start dying slowly
When you kill your self-esteem;
When you do not let others help you.
You start dying slowly
If you become a slave of your habits,
Walking everyday on the same paths…
If you do not change your routine,
If you do not wear different colours
Or you do not speak to those you don’t know.
You start dying slowly
If you avoid to feel passion
And their turbulent emotions;
Those which make your eyes glisten
And your heart beat fast.
You start dying slowly
If you do not change your life when you are not satisfied with your job, or with your love,
If you do not risk what is safe for the uncertain,
If you do not go after a dream,
If you do not allow yourself,
At least once in your lifetime,
To run away from sensible advice…




No comments:

Post a Comment