Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Silly, Silly Sarita

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I sure did.  However, it's monday and I am an UNHAPPY camper! This weekend I somehow lost dinky Chilean cellular on the beach.  I really should have invested in a jacket that had zipper pockets. Womppppp Wompppppp. In ADDITION, I broke my computer screen this morning with my thumb.  I didn't realize how much strength that little guy had.  Although I was borderline tears at about 6:30 this morning, I am in high spirits right now.  I realized, last night, as I was laying on the beach listening to my friend Flaco play the guitar that I am living the life.  As difficult as it sometimes is, I really enjoy teaching English.  Not only do I feel that I am connecting with some of the students, I think that I am learning a lot from them.  Everyday there are new stories to tell and my students definitely keep me laughing.

Last week I managed to give a student a bloody nose.  NOT with my own fist...but I was persuaded into using a Chilenismo that I did not know the meaning of.  One of my favorite students, Aaron, told me to say "Capotera" and a students name. So of course I said "Capotera Lino."  Not realizing, that in Chile, Capotera means....smack someone across the head.  My entire class (of all boys) jumped out of their seats and ran over to poor little Lino and smacked him on the head.  I stood, staring, as his head smashed against his desk and when he lifted it up..BLOOD...EVERYWHERE.  It is a DAMN good thing this kid is hysterical and laughed his way through the pain.  But boy did I feel bad.  Never again will I follow any instructions from my students ha-ha-ha.  

I may be fooled once but I will never be fooled twice.  I am also happy to know that I have not lost my "class clown" capabilities and was able to fight back against my delinquent students.  I am a very relaxed teacher...I allow students to eat in class, if they sit well they can listen to music, but one thing I can not handle is sleeping.  The other day, one of my students, Ramon, fell asleep during class for probably the 30th time since I have been here.  I had the whole class silently file out of the room and we stood outside the door taking photos and laughing at him.  When he finally woke up about 15 minutes later he was completely thrown off as to why no one was in the room with him.  This is a definite "you needed to be there" story but you can imagine the confused reaction.  Quite hysterical, for my class, and for me.

I never got the chance to write about my favorite things in Chile.  So now I am going to take the time to do it. First, however, I wanted to add one more thing to my list of things that I do not like.

*** I MISS BEING ABLE TO PUT MY TOILET PAPER IN THE TOILET***

Okay, so now for some positive things:

Bread:  Although I am trying to cut it out of my diet...Chile has the best bread in the world.  Apparently they also eat, on average, daily they most bread than any other country in the world.

Cheap Wine: You can buy a jumbo bottle of nice Chilean wine for only about 4.50$

Feeling like a Rockstar:  It doesn't matter where you go, or who you are with, blonde hair and blue eyes...you are a hot babe.  CHA-Ching!

Almuerzo:  Having my big meal during the day.  It feels good to be able to burn it off during the afternoon and not going to bed with a full stomach. 

Asados: Getting together with a group of friends at night and having a huge bbq..we've gone to people's houses...camping...and at the beach! 

Listening to the guitar: Everyone plays the guitar here!  I started lessons last week ;)

The MEN!- I never want to look at a white-skinned, blue-eyed man again.  Bring on the morenos, yum yum and yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Laid back lifestyle: I can sleep until 2:30PM on a Saturday, this is normal.  Also...less stress on time and less things to do.  Wonderful break from the US.  This may be one of the biggest reasons as to why I do not plan on returning back to the US anytime soon. 

Having Friday's off: I do not work Friday's!  The pleasures of being a volunteer =)

Public transportation: I love this. I love it, I love it, I love it!  Every morning I take the "micro" the bus to work..I flag it down, numbers 17, 10, or 7...and it is one of the most relaxing parts of my day.  It is still dark out when I get to school and it is really amazing to see the city lit up and it is a very soothing experience.  When I forget my music, I can listen to the faint music of someone else's MP3 blasting
reggeaton and this always reminds me, that I am indeed in, South America. In the afternoons I take a colectivo home.  A colectivo is a very cheap taxi that will pick you up and take you anywhere in the city.  Sometimes it is difficult to get a colectivo from the center of the city to sector sur, (South Side) which si where I live.  But I must say, I have had the most ridiculous colectivo rides...it's almost a joke! The other day I had a colectivo filled with 4 other middle-aged men all singing along to Cher and that song "it's in his kiss...that's where it is!"  The next day, I had a man give me his son's number because he wanted me to meet him.  He lured me in by saying "he speaks English very well and likes to surf."  I didn't call him yet.........I've even gotten KICKED OUT of a colectivo.  For some reason all of the drivers are extremely sensitive about slamming their car doors.  Well, my first week here...I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! And yes, the driver left me off in the middle of the street.

Cueca: Cueca is the Chilean national dance.  I love the outfits and I love the dance.  I'll post a video during my next blog post.

No tips!!!- in Chile, you do not leave tips---if you do, only 10% and that is good.

Greetings- In Chile, you greet everyone with one kiss on right cheek.  If you walk into a party and there are 15 people there...it is considered rude if you do not go up to each person and give them a kiss on the cheek.

Style-Black!  If you look around, everyone is wearing black!  Not only is it slimming...but now it is considered stylish also.

Needless to say, for me, there are many more positives than there are negatives about being here in Chile.  If only my family and friends were closer =(  Sorry that it has taken so long for a blog post but with my broken computer and the national holiday, it was tough to find some time to sit at a cafe or at my parents computer in the house.  I will be writing a post about the national holiday now =)

Love,

Sarita


No comments:

Post a Comment